Nevada Reaches Tentative Settlement In Wildfire Lawsuit
RENO, Nev. (AP) — The state of Nevada has reached a tentative settlement with dozens of homeowners and insurance companies that filed an $80 million negligence suit after 23 homes were destroyed when strong winds reignited a prescribed burn south of Reno in 2016.
Lawyers for Nevada and more than 60 plaintiffs told a judge in Reno Thursday the state Board of Examiners plans to vote on the settlement agreement June 12.
William Jeanney, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, said he can't discuss details. But he told reporters after a brief court appearance it's a "good deal" for everyone involved given the circumstances.
He credited Gov. Steve Sisolak and Attorney General Aaron Ford for helping reach the agreement.
A trial to determine the amount of damages had been scheduled for December after a jury found the state liable for losses last year.