Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
Supported by

Ex-Raider Henry Ruggs’ hearing in fatal crash case delayed

Raiders Ruggs Fatal Crash Football
Bizuayehu Tesfaye/Las Vegas Review-Journal via AP, Pool, File

FILE - Former Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Henry Ruggs arrives in court during his hearing at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas on Nov. 22, 2021.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A Las Vegas judge agreed Thursday to postpone hearing evidence in the criminal case accusing ex-Las Vegas Raiders wide receiver Henry Ruggs of driving drunk and causing a high-speed crash that killed a woman last November.

Ruggs’ defense attorney, David Chesnoff, asked for more time to examine evidence that police say shows Ruggs was driving 156 mph with a blood-alcohol level twice the Nevada legal limit before the fiery rear-end crash early Nov. 2 that killed 23-year-old Tina Tintor in her vehicle, Prosecutors did not oppose the delay.

Justice of the Peace Ann Zimmerman set a new date, May 19, for the hearing at which she’ll determine whether Ruggs will stand trial in state court on felony driving under the influence and reckless driving charges.

Sponsor Message

Ruggs faces a mandatory two years in prison and maybe more than 50 years if he’s convicted. He also is charged with misdemeanor gun possession after police reported finding a loaded handgun on the floor of his demolished Chevrolet Corvette.

The 23-year-old former first-round NFL draft pick didn’t have to appear with Chesnoff in court. He remains on house arrest with electronic GPS and alcohol monitors.

Ruggs and his girlfriend, Kiara Je’nai Kilgo-Washington, were hospitalized after the crash. The extent of their injuries has not been made public, although Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson has said prosecutors were told Ruggs suffered a leg injury and Kilgo-Washington underwent arm surgery.

Kilgo-Washington’s attorney is fighting in court to prevent prosecutors from obtaining her medical records, which prosecutors need to prove the crash caused substantial bodily injury.

Ruggs wore a neck brace and remained seated in a wheelchair during his initial court appearance the day after the crash. By then, the Raiders had released him from the team.