Nevada Judge Holds Hearing On Massachusetts Report On Wynn
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Former casino mogul Steve Wynn's bid in Nevada to block release of a Massachusetts Gaming Commission report about sexual misconduct allegations against him will be heard Dec. 20, a Nevada judge said Thursday.
The outcome could lead Clark County District Court Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez to decide whether to allow the commission to release its findings into claims that Wynn engaged in sexual misconduct with female employees while he headed Las Vegas-based Wynn Resorts.
The Massachusetts commission is considering whether to grant to Wynn Resorts a gambling license for a $2 billion casino and hotel scheduled to open near Boston next year.
Wynn denies the misconduct allegations.
He resigned Feb. 6 as chief executive and chairman, days after the Wall Street Journal reported about the allegations.
His name has been stripped from the new casino. It is now called Encore Boston Harbor.
Wynn attorneys sued the commission and its enforcement chief, Karen Wells, on Nov. 7, arguing the report contains confidential information obtained from Wynn attorneys Donald Campbell and Colby Williams in Las Vegas that is protected from public view by attorney-client privilege.
Gambling regulators in Nevada also are investigating the allegations against Wynn and the company has faced several stockholder lawsuits alleging that former and current Wynn Resorts executives and board members knew about sexual misconduct allegations against Wynn but failed to act.
A former shareholder alleged in a case filed earlier this month that his stock plummeted in value because company officials concealed information about accusations and a $7.5 million settlement with a former company manicurist who said Wynn forced sex on her on company property in 2005.
Records show that Wynn Resorts traded at more than $200 per share before the Wall Street Journal report, and closed at about $165 after Wynn resigned. Company stock was trading at about $110 this week.