Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
Supported by

E-Cigarette Blamed For Small Explosion At Sparks High

Washoe County school officials have confirmed an electronic cigarette was to blame for a small explosion that forced the partial evacuation of Sparks High School.

Principal Kevin Carroll says school officials called police about 10:15 a.m. Monday after a teacher saw fire spark in the school gym.

No one was hurt, but about 150 students were evacuated from inside the gym and a code yellow lockdown was ordered for about 90 minutes.

Sponsor Message

School district spokeswoman Victoria Campbell told the Reno Gazette-Journal two students were "messing with the e-cigarette." She says investigators determined the two did not intend to spark a fire and no charges have been filed.
Copyright 2015 KNPR-FM. To see more, visit