RENO, Nev. (AP) — Health officials are hoping a fall recess will help subdue a norovirus outbreak in Nevada schools that has grown at an alarming rate.
The Reno Gazette-Journal reports that the Washoe County Health District has stopped counting the number of infections because the outbreak has quadrupled.
Officials say roughly 1,760 students and staff at 20 schools and a few daycare centers are afflicted with norovirus.
The virus' symptoms include nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.
County Director of Epidemiology Randall Todd says the scheduled fall break will help keep sick students out of school for the recommended 72 hours after their last symptoms.
Officials have previously said they believe the outbreak started Sept. 16 at a Reno elementary school before it spread to 11 schools.