MGM Resorts is laying off some workers and reducing the work hours of others in the wake of the October 1 shooting at Mandalay Bay.
A vice president at MGM said that several hundred employees are affected out of the 7,400 who work at Mandalay Bay.
In a conference call last week, MGM Chief Executive Officer Jim Murren said the staff reductions were likely because of reduced occupancy rates.
He also noted that the increase in cancellations was largely limited to Mandalay Bay and that other MGM properties had not seen significant increases in cancellations.
MGM’s plans for Mandalay Bay include a slower resumption of marketing efforts than with other properties.
Alan Feldman, MGM’s Executive Vice President of Global Industry Affairs, said in an email that reduced work hours are not uncommon in Las Vegas during the last quarter of the year.