© All Rights Reserved 2026 | Privacy Policy
Tax ID / EIN: 23-7441306
Skyline of Las Vegas
Real news. Real stories. Real voices.
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
Supported by

Arts District parking, A’s stadium plans and NV Energy rates

Damian Dovarganes
/
AP

Las Vegas updates Arts District parking, Clark County approves part of the A’s stadium site project, and NV Energy seeks a rate reduction.

The Daily Rundown: August 20, 2026

🚗 The city of Las Vegas will offer free parking in the Las Vegas Arts District from midnight to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday.

This is one of several updates the city shared yesterday [Wednesday, Aug. 19] at a public meeting after receiving and reviewing public comments.

Bally’s Stadium Project, NV Energy Rates, Arts District Parking | Daily Rundown (August 20, 2026)

Oct. 1 is the parking schedule’s start date. Other news included information about the new 500-space garage that will open on Tuesday, Sept. 29.

Garage parking will cost $3 an hour, with a daily maximum of $15.

Monthly parking passes for residents and employees in the Arts District will be available in the new parking garage for $30 and for $20 at the 10-hour street parking spots.


NV Energy has requested a rate reduction with the Public Utilities Commission of Nevada for Southern Nevada customers starting Oct. 1, 2026.

Per yesterday's release from the company, the reduction lowers bills across all major rate classes.

The typical single-family residential customer will see a monthly decrease of about $5. The company says lower market energy prices and reduced fuel supply costs drove the filing.


⚾ The Clark County Board of Commissioners approved a Bally’s-affiliated parking lot and podium project at the future Athletics baseball stadium site on the Strip. The approval came at yesterday’s commissioners meeting [Wednesday, Aug. 19].

FILE - A person takes a picture near construction equipment during a groundbreaking ceremony for the Athletics' baseball stadium Monday, June 23, 2025, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)
John Locher
/
AP
FILE - A person takes a picture near construction equipment during a groundbreaking ceremony for the Athletics' baseball stadium Monday, June 23, 2025, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)

A county representative said in a press release that the resort towers associated with the Bally’s application were not considered at the meeting. That’s because the plans have not yet received approval from the Federal Aviation Administration.

Should Bally’s abandon plans for the project, another developer would be able to use the entitlements that belong to landowner Gaming and Leisure Properties.

That and other portions of the application will be heard at a later date. Earlier this week, CDC Gaming dot com reported that Bally’s Corp. says there is substantial doubt about its ability to meet long-term financial obligations.


🔥 As severe wildfires burn across the Western U.S., California has adopted the toughest rules in the country to help protect communities from burning. Homeowners in wildfire-prone areas will be required to limit plants within 5 feet of their house, a protective measure that wildfire experts say can help prevent homes from igniting.

Research shows that dry, dense vegetation around buildings can cause wildfires to spread. In extreme conditions, high winds carry a deluge of tiny, burning embers far beyond the fire itself. When those embers get caught in vegetation, they can ignite, spreading flames to nearby buildings and homes.

Wednesday's vote by the California Board of Forestry and Fire Protection comes after years of debate and delays. The state originally considered rules that would have restricted all vegetation within 5 feet of a house, aside from well-maintained trees. That generated pushback from some communities, concerned about losing greenery in their gardens and the cost of yard maintenance.

State regulators say the rules reflect the new reality of more extreme wildfires, driven in part by rising temperatures from climate change. More than 57,000 homes and buildings have been destroyed in California in the last decade, according to state regulators.

Read the full story by NPR's Lauren Sommer here.


🌲 The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Tuesday announced it wants to rescind the 2001 Roadless Area Conservation Rule, saying it hampers wildfire management. Environmental groups are calling the move “an alarming threat.”

The rule was intended to protect the nation’s wild lands. But the USDA contends the restrictions hamper effective land management, including wildfire prevention efforts. The agency said it was taking steps to rescind the policy, which covers 45 million acres, or about one-quarter of the National Forest System. The government argues that outdated restrictions have prevented proper management.

Environmental groups say it’s a “threat” to National Forest lands

“Today, we filed a proposal to restore authority to local forest managers who know the land best, removing the barriers that have kept them from doing the work the land demands,” said Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins in the USDA’s news release. “It’s time to turn the page on the failed roadless rule and return our forests to health and productivity.”

Timothy Preso, managing attorney with the biodiversity program at Earthjustice, says the move would actually increase fire risk, according to the government’s own data.

Read the full story by the Mountain West News Bureau's Yvette Fernandez here.

Part of these stories are taken from KNPR's daily newscast segment. To hear more daily updates like these, tune in to 88.9 KNPR FM.