A group of 37 Clark County bars is suing Governor Steve Sisolak over his order last week tightening restrictions on bars and forcing most to close.
The lawsuit says the disparate treatment of bars and taverns is unreasonable because there is no rational basis for treating them differently than other non-essential businesses.
It says inspectors found bars had 80 percent compliance with the governor’s coronavirus safety restrictions on July 3 and that there were many businesses with similar or worse compliance rates.
Bars were closed along with other nonessential businesses in March but were allowed to reopen May 29. Sisolak went back to tighter restrictions after COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations began to climb in the state. He said non-compliance with social distancing directives in bars was part of the problem.