News 88.9 KNPR
Classical 89.7 KCNV

member station


'That Was The Hardest Part': Father Whose Son Died From Coronavirus Couldn't Be With Him In The Fina

Earlier this month, Michael J. O’Brien of Wolcott, Connecticut, DJed an event in nearby Westchester, New York — one of the country’s early COVID-19 hot spots.

The 35-year-old died of the disease on March 10, 16 days later, at St. Mary’s Hospital in Waterbury, Connecticut.

Michael O’Brien worked as a flag-man at construction sites but had a side gig as a DJ. He was the youngest of his father Bill O’Brien’s four children.

The family speculates Michael caught the virus during his DJ gig in Westchester, though there’s no way to be certain.

“My wife did speak to him before he went down to Westchester that night and encouraged him not to go because we were starting to hear about things in New Rochelle,” Bill O’Brien says.

At first Michael thought he was experiencing allergies. But his sister was concerned for herself and her brother since each of them get bronchitis yearly. Plus, Bill O’Brien says his wife has lung problems and uses oxygen at night.

Days after Michael went to Westchester County, the state shut down bars and restaurants in New York.

“By that weekend, I guess, Mike was showing symptoms,” he says. “And over the weekend and then the next week, he got sicker. And, you know, the last we heard was his temperature was 104.5 [degrees].”

Support comes from

Eight days later, one of Bill O’Brien’s other sons told Michael to go to the hospital.

Michael went to a walk-in clinic and waited in the car with his wife for four hours, Bill O’Brien says. The facility was crowded and only allowing one patient in at a time.

Since Michael had severe COVID-19 symptoms, he took a virus test and was admitted to the hospital — though he didn’t get the results for two days.

Since the virus is so contagious, Bill O’Brien couldn’t visit his son in the hospital.

“For us, that was the hardest part. Not being able to visit him and be with him, talk to him,” he says. “We couldn’t talk to him on the phone after the first day. He was on a ventilator.”

The hospital’s chaplain staff did an apostolic pardon on his devout Catholic son from outside the room, he says, and a nurse blessed Michael with holy water every day.

Bill O’Brien visited the hospital twice, once with his wife. The couple parked outside the hospital and prayed the rosary together.

When the family learned Michael was dying, they rushed to the hospital and arrived just in time. This time, they parked near the emergency room because they knew Michael was a few floors above it.

“That was as close as we could get,” he says, “probably a couple hundred feet away but a couple stories up.”

A day before his condition worsened, Michael’s wife, Tara O’Brien, had also been admitted to the intensive care unit for COVID-19.

His wife didn’t witness the hours the doctors spent trying to keep Michael alive, but when he reached his deathbed, the nurses brought her in the room.

“As Mike died, she was holding Mike’s hand,” Bill O’Brien says. “They did everything they possibly could. But she was there at the very end.”

Now, Tara O’Brien remains hospitalized with COVID-19 though she’s out of the ICU, he says — and Michael’s two business partners have also come down with the disease. This demonstrates how contagious it is, he says.

Though Michael was only 35, his father says he had diabetes. His son’s death shatters the myth that the coronavirus is impacting only elderly people, he says.

“Mike was his own kind of guy. He liked to do his own thing,” he says. “He was always one that would lend an ear to people.”

Bill O’Brien says his son was non-confrontational and had a close-knit circle of friends who trusted him. Michael enjoyed karaoke, astronomy, theater, Star Trek and entertaining people — especially at weddings, he says.

On top of his vast array of interests, Michael served as the family birthday cake artist. Bill O’Brien says his sister-in-law recently reminded him of a “Scooby-Doo” cake with all the characters on top that Michael had made for her.

Michael died on his sister’s birthday, which Bill O’Brien predicts will be difficult for her. But he hopes the family will keep up with making special cakes — like his son did year after year.

“You never knew what you were going to get,” he says. “That part I’m certainly sure is going to be missed on every birthday.”

Karyn Miller-Medzon produced and edited this interview for broadcast with Peter O’Dowd. Allison Hagan adapted it for the web. 

This article was originally published on

Copyright 2020 NPR. To see more, visit

You won’t find a paywall here. Come as often as you like — we’re not counting. You’ve found a like-minded tribe that cherishes what a free press stands for.  If you can spend another couple of minutes making a pledge of as little as $5, you’ll feel like a superhero defending democracy for less than the cost of a month of Netflix.