KNPR

Documentary Explores Aftermath Of October First Shootings

crouching_couple.jpg

Associated Press

A couple crouches during the shooting at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas on October 1, 2017.

It’s been more than six months since the October 1 shooting – but, for many, questions still linger about the way law enforcement and MGM Resorts International handled themselves as the shooting progressed, and in the intervening days, weeks, and months.

A new documentary film by Charlie Minn asks a lot of those questions and presents the voices of journalists, survivors, and an attorney for survivors.

One of the biggest questions he asks in the documentary is the timeline put out by Metro Police. 

He questions why it took 12 minutes from the time security guard Jesus Campos called in the room number of the shooter to when officers arrived at Stephen Paddock's door.

“You can certainly make the argument that had they gotten there in three or four minutes maybe they could have interrupted the shooting 30 percent in. That question has to be raised!” he said.

Minn said he thinks that 12 minutes is extremely important and he wants the police to answer the question for the victims and survivors.

“I’m trying to get answers for the innocent victims. This entire film is for them who are so angered and frustrated to this day,” he said.

He also wonders why it took police an hour to go into Paddock's suite. Police have argued that they didn't go into the suite earlier because the shooting had stopped and they were concerned it had been booby-trapped.

Support comes from

Despite that explanation, Minn believes the police are not releasing enough information about the shooting.

“I’m just raising questions here," he said, "That’s why I would love for them to talk to me. But unfortunately, because of the lack of transparency and the lack of answers that the innocent victims have. I think I’m bringing up a lot of valid points and a lot of valid question that we all would love to know.”

He is also raising questions about security guard and key witness Jesus Campos. After the shooting, Campos did not give interviews to local or national news outlets. Instead, he spoke to comedian Ellen Degeneres. 

“This deserved a serious journalist, not a comedian, to ask solid questions so we can get the bottom of this so these victims, 800 of them, will know what went down that night,” he said.

In addition, Metro Police changed the timeline of when Campos arrived at the suite and when he was shot twice in the days after shooting. 

Minn said he is not against the police but instead he is for justice for the victims and survivors of the massacre.

The film, A “Nightmare in Las Vegas” will be shown several times at the Clark County Library on Flamingo. The first screening is Wednesday evening.

 

“A Nightmare in Las Vegas,” a film by Charlie Minn

Clark County Library, 1401 E. Flamingo Rd., Las Vegas, NV 89119

Wednesday, April 25 at 7:30 p.m.

Friday, April 27 at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.

Sunday, April 29 at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Monday, April 30 at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.

Guests

Charlie Minn, director of the documentary film "A Nightmare In Las Vegas."

KNPR and NPR Thank-You Gifts including t-shirts hoodies and cap