Students Exposed To Mercury At Las Vegas Middle School
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Authorities say a Las Vegas middle school has been put on lockdown after mercury was brought in by a student.
The hazmat situation at the Walter Johnson Junior High School gym in western Las Vegas began shortly before noon on Wednesday.
At least five children were exposed to the element known for its toxicity.
Police, Las Vegas fire and Clark County School District officials at the scene say there was a small amount of the substance found and that the area is safe.
The Environmental Protection Agency has also been notified.