The nine-month school year begins in just a little more than a month, on August 29. Between now and then, there are several opportunities to donate backpacks, school supplies and uniforms for kids who don’t enjoy the traditional back-to-school shopping ritual because of poverty or homelessness.
- The Greater Las Vegas Association of Realtors and Boys & Girls Clubs of America are collecting backpacks and school supplies during business hours through Monday, August 1, at GLVAR’s office, 1750 E. Sahara Ave. More information, including a list of supplies sought, is on the association’s website.
- Several nonprofits, shops and foster-care support groups have joined to collect donations for children in the care Clark County Department of Family Services. Drop them off between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays through August 10 at Peggy’s Attic, 701 N. Pecos Road. To make donations outside these hours, call 702-455-5424. The agency for children in foster care says it’s hoping to fill 1,500 backpacks.
- Communities in Schools is holding an event called Fill the Bus on Friday and Saturday, August 12 and 13, at Sam’s Club. See the dropout prevention program’s website for times, locations and a list of the school supplies they want.
- The Salvation Army of Southern Nevada is working with a variety of community partners to host drives for struggling families. Donors can drop off new backpacks and school supplies through August 13 at any Cricket Wireless location, or between 7 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. on these days and at these locations: Monday, August 15, at Subaru Las Vegas, 5385 W. Sahara Ave.; Tuesday, August 16, at NV Energy, 6226 W. Sahara Ave.; or Wednesday, August 17, at Fox5 Studios, 25 TV5 Drive in Henderson.
- Stay-in-school nonprofit Project 150 will host a free shopping event for teens on August 20 at Betty’s Boutique. Between now and then, they’re asking the public to drop off donations or spend a couple hours packing school supplies or folding clothes for the event between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at Project 150’s Volunteer Center, 3600 N. Rancho Drive.
Know of any other similar drives? Post info in the comments section or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll update this post.