The philosophy of HELP is, "when you get knocked down, you have to get back up." HELP of Southern Nevada is dedicated to putting people back in control of their lives. For 35 years now, HELP has assisted individuals and families to become self sufficient through direct services, training and referral.
HELP of Southern Nevada programs include:
* Displaced Homemaker-- Providing job search assistance for men and women who have lost their sole source of income from the death, divorce or disability of a spouse
* Emergency Resource Services-- Provides information and referrals to link clients in need of medical assistance to emergency services
* Community Alternative Sentencing-- Court appointed volunteers provide labor for nonprofit and governmental agencies instead of expensive incarceration
* Weatherization-- State and private sponsors give free estimates and tips to manage household energy; money saved on energy is allocated to living expenses
* Travel Aid: Discount bus tickets, maps and emergency food vouchers are given to assist stranded travelers
* A New Path: Individuals are quickly given housing but must immediately search for employment
* Direct Services: Vital necessities of food, shelter, clothes, energy, transportation, hygiene and infant items are provided directly to families or individuals.
HELP's work assists individuals to utilize opportunities they would not have otherwise. By taking steps to better their own situation, clients become empowered. HELP aims to embody its motto of "helping people help themselves."
Listen to these Community Connections profiles.